(urth) S.R. Delany's "Neveron" Stories

Fred Kiesche godelescherbach at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 06:53:32 PDT 2013

"Am I the only person here waiting for _The Splendor, the Misery, of
Bodies, of Cities_?"

I'd love to see it as well, but is it actually moving forward?

As for the sequence of writing (Delany before Wolfe?), I recall getting
volumes of Damon Knight's ORBIT anthology with both appearing (maybe not
the same volume, but definitely in the same couple of years). And I recall
reading both in the NEBULA collections of the same era.

Delany probably moved into novels sooner (and faster), but production there
has tailed off as he did more and more teaching.

Religion vs. non-religion, I don't know, passages from NOVA and other works
feel pretty damn religious to me. Maybe Delany doesn't believe, but he sure
can talk the talk.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>wrote:

>  > From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>
>
> >From: Fred Kiesche
> >
> >> Anybody know if Samuel R. Delany is a fan of Gene Wolfe? I'm seeing
> parallels
> >> in pacing, "feel" between the New Sun and SRD's "Neveron" stories and
> books.
> >> Or are both just influenced by (for example) Borges?
> >
> >Common interests seem more likely.
>
> Though the influence of Proust and other French classics seems possible
> and might have a lot to do with similarities of pacing and feel.  Also,
> Wolfe has said he admires Nabokov, and Delany started his latest novel (see
> below) with a quotation from Nabokov.  Another common interest or influence
> is the pulps.
>
> In some ways, Wolfe is the anti-Delany, though.  I don't think that Wolfe
> has any interest in the structuralist and post-structuralist literary
> theory that's a basic part of Delany's worldview, or that Delany has any
> interest in the religious and mystical ideas that are a basic part of
> Wolfe's.
>
> > Delaney was mostly writing before Wolfe -
>
> Good point, though the Neveryon (Nevèrÿon) books were after TBotNS.  (I'm
> pointing out the spelling with the y because it's "never" + "yon".)
>
> > I think he's been writing mostly autobiographies and gay porn since the
> '80s.  He has a new SF novel out recently,
>
> Thanks, I might have to read that.
>
> Am I the only person here waiting for _The Splendor, the Misery, of
> Bodies, of Cities_?
>
> > though the Tor review suggested it is for the strong of stomach.
>
> According to Wikipedia, but with a "citation needed" tag, he's said he
> wanted it to straddle the lines between literature, science fiction, and
> pornography.
>
> Jerry Friedman

F.P. Kiesche III  "Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always,
scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being
presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.)
Blogging at The Lensman's Children (
http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/).