(urth) S.R. Delany's "Neveron" Stories

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 06:32:32 PDT 2013

> From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>

>From: Fred Kiesche
>
>> Anybody know if Samuel R. Delany is a fan of Gene Wolfe? I'm seeing parallels
>> in pacing, "feel" between the New Sun and SRD's "Neveron" stories and books.
>> Or are both just influenced by (for example) Borges?
>
>Common interests seem more likely.

Though the influence of Proust and other French classics seems possible and might have a lot to do with similarities of pacing and feel.  Also, Wolfe has said he admires Nabokov, and Delany started his latest novel (see below) with a quotation from Nabokov.  Another common interest or influence is the pulps.

In some ways, Wolfe is the anti-Delany, though.  I don't think that Wolfe has any interest in the structuralist and post-structuralist literary theory that's a basic part of Delany's worldview, or that Delany has any interest in the religious and mystical ideas that are a basic part of Wolfe's.

> Delaney was mostly writing before Wolfe -

Good point, though theNeveryon (Nevèrÿon) books were after TBotNS.  (I'm pointing out the spelling with the y because it's "never" + "yon".)

> I think he's been writing mostly autobiographies and gay porn since the '80s.  He has a new SF novel out recently,

Thanks, I might have to read that.

Am I the only person here waiting for _The Splendor, the Misery, of Bodies, of Cities_?

> though the Tor review suggested it is for the strong of stomach.

According to Wikipedia, but with a "citation needed" tag, he's said he wanted it to straddle the lines between literature, science fiction, and pornography.

Jerry Friedman