(urth) Patera Incus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 13:16:55 PDT 2010

  On 8/16/2010 2:18 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> If nothing that I, or Wolfe, or anyone else*can*  say can change your mind,
> well, that speaks for itself. There is nothing left to say.

Wolfe has said it already in the text in many various ways. So,
properly, you should say "anything *more* Wolfe can say".

As for you, Roy, the majority of the most important proofs that Incus is
female are philosophically beyond your willingness to look at, let alone
dispute. So there ya are.

Anyone else? If someone were prepared to discuss the mythology of
Aristaeus as detailed by Pindar, Herodotus' History of the Persian War,
Plutarch's Lives, and Robert Graves' "The Greek Myths" (all important
references for Wolfe at least through the 80s and 90s) then I suppose we
could have a starting place to dispute. Then we could move on to
Hesphaestus, Apollo, and Orion and the other things.

But if it's just a matter of going round and round on the subject of
whether it means anything that Incus underlined "a woman" and "myself"
in the letter to Fulmar  (as you and I surely would do), or whether all
the associations between the word "hymen" and Incus's name is mere
nephelomancy,  well, what's the point? _I'm right on this issue. You are
wrong._ You just don't have the background in certain specific items of
literature to see that you are wrong. And it makes you spit nails if
anyone says that a lack of anything besides the text itself would make
one of Wolfe's puzzles unsolvable beyond any doubt.

If I tell you "This artwork of splotches contains a picture of Jesus"
and your only answer is "I don't see it and it's not there" , then where
are we going to go from that? I'd rather discuss something productively.
How about the fact that Pike's Ghost is the Rajan in dream-travel what
that would mean about the old patera's true heritage? Or that Rose's
hands belonged to Molybdenum. I'm prepared to argue about that without
reference to anything but the text.

u+16b9