(urth) Patera Incus

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Mon Aug 16 07:28:37 PDT 2010

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>

> But now there is no way for Fulmar to know who is writing the letter now.
> That was what was so important before, no?

Incus may have expected him to figure it out.

>> I don't suppose it matters that masculine pronouns are used to describe
>> Incus in the list of  characters at the front of the book.
>
> No. That would be an utterly trivial argument. Maytera Marble is described
> as "she" in the list of characters in front of the book-- the prononun is
> strictly formal. She is not physically a woman.

Chems come male and female just like bios; this is not a meaningful argument
IMO.

However, I don't think the use of the male pronoun is significant.  Wolfe
would have changed it if he had clearly revealed Incus to be a woman, but he
does not reveal all in the lists of characters.  The description of Pas
changes from list to list as more is revealed.

- Gerry Quinn