(urth) Soldier of Sidon writeup

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 07:24:55 PDT 2018

It occurs to me as I re-read the start of the essays that Wolfe, as Milton
did before him in "On the Morning of Christ's Nativity" (and is a quite
common trope of earlier poetry as well), is playing with the associations
of Pan and Christ not only in the first volume, but in a negative way in
the third, when the All-beast (panther) Beteshu (another name for Apep) is
introduced as the visible manifestation of Angra Mainyu, the evil spirit or
dark god contra Ahura Mazda in Zoroastrianism. This makes me wonder if Jove
actually is suffering from a case of MPD in these books.