(urth) George R. R. Martin on Gene Wolfe

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 10:21:48 PDT 2015

Of course the Hugos are a popularity contest; they are a fan-based award.
Nonetheless, they have a history of picking pretty good (though not
necessarily the "best") book on a year-by-year basis.

Yep, a Harry Potter book won, and beat a second-rate GRRM book. So? The HP
books are actually damn fine books.

(Actually, Vinge has won *five* times.)

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Charles Gillingham <
charlesgillingham at gmail.com> wrote:

> This "controversy" bores me. The Hugo's are a popularity contest, nothing
> more. Even though I don't think GRRM is that great of a writer, *Storm of
> Swords* lost to a Harry Potter book!
>
> Again, too bored to look into this on my own. I would like to know when
> the Puppies say the awards became rigged. Vernor Vinge has own three times,
> and he's a super right wing stateless capitalist! But its fair to say there
> might be collusion going on. I don't want to drag us down into unproductive
> ideological "debates", but there is a culture war going on right now. Both
> sides band together to raid polls or websites and what not all the time.
> And this stupid meme of "don't real straight white male authors for a year"
> might be evidence that there was prior collusion the Hugo's. So collusion
> counters collusion, more people pay attention to sci fi, everyone and no
> one wins.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes