(urth) barrington interview

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 05:12:27 PDT 2014

> You are saying humans are not capable of art or history. I truly do not
>understand that statement

>Jeffrey Wilson:  I wrote that, not Rick. On the contrary, I am saying that art transcends
>the flaws of history, because the cave paintings implicitly record
>things about people who did not yet have the ability to record explicit,
>written history.

Apologies for the misidentification.

Saying that art can go beyond history is one thing. But what I quoted was the

statement:

>Humans and pre-humans have made numerous
>constructions that transcend the limitations of the homind condition.

Quite a different statement to say that art is a superhuman ability.

Dan'l made the suggestion that some human endeavors (including prayer?)

can put humans in touch with the superhuman/infinite, as an article of his

faith. I have no problem with that belief, stated that way.

But I can't see how statements about art or math transcending the human

condition make sense, without invoking belief in God.

>I recall now that you apparently use some crap misconfigured e-mail
>program that doesn't properly quote and attribute forcing you to do it
>by flawed hand and flawed memory, and I think your poor technology
>experience in general may be coloring your attitudes about all human
>products.

Very funny.

But no; as computers and the internet are entirely human creations, I do

not consider them to endow us with superhuman abilities. No more than

a stone hand axe does.