(urth) FW: May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Aug 6 05:00:44 PDT 2014

On 05/08/2014 18:12, Marc Aramini wrote:
> It also seems to me that brides involve a method of propagation and
> reproduction, you know?  like the life cycle involves them somehow.
> But like I said, I really don't want to argue too much about this
> because our views on parallel symbolic associations in Fifth Head of
> Cerberus are diametrically opposed.

Marc, all I can say is: re-read the full page or two before the 'brides'
(actually 'wives') line.  It's ALL a detailed description of the
drug-bearing plant and what it does for them and how they use it. The
'wives' are introduced as an analogy for how it makes them feel.  You
are blowing off two pages of detailed exegesis on the basis of a word or
two, words which have natural interpretations in the drug scenario as
explained.  And not just here.

Why does Wolfe - or, if you prefer, Victor - go on for pages about this
plant if it doesn't exist?  It's not symbolic association, it's flat out
SF info-dump!

- Gerry Quinn