(urth) Fairies and Wolfe

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 23:29:30 PDT 2012

>Marc Aramini: I highly doubt that there is a correlation between "losing technology"

>and true spiritual advancement in Wolfe, or entities like Jonas and the chems would

>not be portrayed so humanistically.  Wolfe is not by profession your typical anti-tech

>kind of guy

>David Stockhoff: Presumably, the need for technology disappears when one becomes a god.
>But this is not necessarily a sign of /spiritual /advancement.

Yes, I certainly wasn't trying to suggest Wolfe is some sort of luddite. As David suggests,

my thought was only, as for the Green Man and perhaps Neighbors, that technology simply

isn't needed anymore for more advanced beings. I'm actually surprised that Marc of all people

raises this point. I thought you were highly attuned to the WOlfean idea of humanity's

future as becoming more quasi-plant-like.

Yep, David, since there are hints of "bad" gods in the Sun Series (and other WOlfe works)

who are not reliant on technology, the mere achievement of godhood isn't indicative of

spiritual advancement. As was recently discussed, the only way to become more spiritually

advanced in the lupine universe is to become more Christian.