(urth) The Great Gene Wolfe Rebuild

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 16:12:50 PDT 2012

Wright is usually right (sorry) about Wolfe's relation to the reader, and he's really insightful about the way Wolfe crafts relationships between text, narrative, readers, etc. The problem is that he draws some pretty clear conclusions about the content of the books based on the ambiguities of the different levels he analyzes, rather than turning that ambiguity back on his own reading.

I think people who dislike the book based on the materialistic/atheistic conclusions miss out on a lot of good stuff in his approach. Like you say, his real thesis or "theoretical basis" isn't primarily the materialism/atheism reading of New Sun; that's a consequence of his more important things to say about how he conceives of Wolfe relating to readers, fuzzing the relation between truth/fiction/manipulation and what not. I ultimately think that his approach to Wolfe is compatible with both atheistic and theological interpretations. It's not *what* you conclude about the book's relationship to Wolfe's religion that's important to him; it's how to arrive at those conclusions.

I do think Shadows is important just because it finally collects a lot of things in one place that were scattered. Whether or not it's worth the price it's going for now is another issue...