(urth) Oannes

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Mar 19 12:06:48 PDT 2012

From: DAVID STOCKHOFF

> What's the evidence that Typhon is bisexual? Not that I don't think he
> is---note
> the double-penised depiction of Pas on the obscene tapestry, which seems
> to suggest
>  a dual sexual nature that some perceived as his primary feature. Note
> also the demand
>  for a tribute of boys and girls by the tyrant of the tale of the Student.
> But is that
>  evidence or conjecture?

Typhon says to Severian:
“From your throne in Nessus you will send me tribute of fair women and boys,
of the ancient devices and books, and all the good things this world of Urth
produces.”

I think it’s more of a power thing than a sex thing with Typhon, though.

The painting doesn't really mean anything - it's an obvious obscene riff on
the two-headed iconography of Pas.

- Gerry Quinn