(urth) Oannes

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:50:59 PDT 2012

David Stockhoff: What's the evidence that Typhon is bisexual?

Yep, you guys did a good job listing the evidence. The erection
in Severian's presence, the tribute, the painting. Added to the
matings with Echidna and his relationship with Kypris, of course.

I agree with Antonin that a rape might have been implied as the
upcoming event after Severian had been fed and had sworn utter fealty
and obedience to Typhon.  Which may be part of why Severian refused to
swear it. His torturer days might have alerted him that some men
(like some animals) use sex as a way of affirming male-male dominance.

>Gerry Quinn: I think it’s more of a power thing than a sex thing with
>Typhon, though.

Agreed, but it is still sex.  The choice of "fair women and boys" implies
exercising sexual power and coercion. Not the sort of tribute subjects
you'd pick if you planned to hold gladiator fights or build giant monuments
to yourself. The painting does corroborate this view.

>The painting doesn't really mean anything

I'm sure you wouldn't intend to speak for others, so perhaps that could
be amended to, "The painting doesn't really mean anything to me".

But is that evidence or conjecture?