(urth) Lupiverse(es)

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Mar 15 06:01:37 PDT 2012

From: Lee Berman

> Gerry Quinn:
> > Only the other day you posted yet another of your inane rants
> > about me, which I ignored.

> I don't think that's true. Perhaps you could post my inane rant to remind me?

It’s deleted.  Some tripe about my “provocations”.  It started off going all around the world but I knew it would end with me.

> > what you seem to ‘understand’ is some weird confection that has little relation
> > to the text

> Perhaps that's so but then it applies to all those others with whom I happen
> to agree with. You do seem to be at war with a number of people here.

If you call finding fault with someone’s interpretations “being at war” I guess I must be continually at war.  I don’t take the view that you seem to want to promote that any interpretation is as good as any other.  Certain interpretations seem to hang largely on ignoring what Wolfe wrote, developing elaborate hypotheses based on questionable “clues”, and justifying it by greatly exaggerating the obscurity of Wolfe’s writing.

> >Re-reading was intended as a helpful suggestion.  I should perhaps amplify it by
> >proposing that you concentrate on the meaning of the text as written and which you
> >frequently ignore in favour of cryptic clues allegedly hidden in the syllables and
> >such like.

> I am pretty sure there is no amount of re-readings which would cause me to simplify
> my understanding down to one level and/or force my interpretations to be into
> congruence with your own, which is what you seem to be aiming for.

How about forcing them into congruence with the text?

- Gerry Quinn