(urth) The Wizard

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:25:30 PST 2012

>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: Without going into all the details of your post, which
>was quite interesting, I want to clarify something: I do not believe that
>Christ has come, or will come, in the Sun universe. Rather, I believe that
>salvation in that universe is available through the "once for all" sacrifice
>of Christ in _our_ universe. When the Outsider shows Silk images of Christ,
>it is from our universe, not his. (And "a man possessed and enlightened by
>the Outsider" is the closest thing Silk can understand to what Christ
>was/is/will be.)

Nice post Dan'l. I can actually see how this scenario explains the situation
in an equivalent way to the the idea that Christ is someday coming to Urth in
its future.

I can see how the "once for all" concept would be appealing for Christians
for whom it would be disturbing to think about multiple instances (and shapes,
sizes, colors and biochemstries) of Christ appearing around the universe.

On the other hand, "once for all" is a concept which seems a bit antithetical
for the SF community who tend to want to think more expansively and not so
earth-centric about the universe.

Then we have Gene Wolfe who is both a Christian and an SF writer. What was his
thinking and intention? Heh. Well, maybe he left it ambiguous on purpose having
anticipated this very debate among his readers :- ).