(urth) The Wizard

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 07:49:16 PST 2012

>craig Brewer: I forget which interview it is where Wolfe says that Silk is a

>member of the "Order of the Seekers of Truth and Penitence" ...

I am not familiar with that one. I'd appreciate a link to it very much if it

the identity happens to come to mind. I am familiar with a Wolfe quote saying

that Jesus, given his scourging of the moneychangers, had bit of torturer within

him.

>My point is really that I don't quite understand the significance of the argument

>...In other words, when thinking about what Severian or Silk actually experience and

>about their narrative arcs, does it matter whether or not this world actually had a

>Christ? Either way, these characters know nothing about the historical events, and

>that's what really matters. It's their distance from the truth (no matter which

>direction in time) that gives their stories a real spiritual tension and urgency.

I would agree. That is probably a good description of Wolfe's intentions.

To understand the significance of the arguments, I think you have to be cognizant

of the dynamics of a venue such as this. If you write a book and include an

insightful truism, as you have done above, each reader can nod in agreement and

enjoy the insight. Here, it might get a bit boring if the dialog consisted entirely

of such statements and dutiful affirmations from each other. That is a rather passive

and static form of communication.

When there is disagrement it becomes more active and dynamic. Various factions will

become inspired to delve more deeply into the text and more broadly beyond the

text to find support for their positions.  We've seen evidence dredged from Persian

poety, astrophysics, avian taxonomy, occult worship, etc. Stuff I never would have

learned about without the debate.

I'm not saying there is no place for a discussion of agreement of Wolfe's brilliance

or news blurbs concerning his next award or a newly published review of his work.  I

just don't think that's all this List need be restricted to. I never wish for negativity

but I am forced to admit the bald truth that the debates have been more helpful in

furthering my understanding of Gene Wolfe than the agreements.

In more specific terms, I have learned a lot from Dan'l, David, James, Jordon, Marc and

others in the last few years that would never have been explicated without the provocations

of Gerry Quinn.  That's why I have steadfastly supported Gerry's contributions here, despite

the superficial appearance of antagonism.