(urth) The Wizard

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 06:57:49 PST 2012

In the Old Testament, God is a self-proclaimed angry God. A jealous God who
acknowledges the existence of real, rival gods. An unforgiving God who
viciouly
slaughters those who disobey him. A malicious God who repeatedly hardens
Pharaoh's
heart when the guy is trying to let the Hebrews go free; eventually
sentencing
thousands of innocent Egyptian children to death and drowning an entire army
because of the heart-hardening. This is a God of war, conquest and genocide.
Mate, I don't have time to go into it, but I can't imagine a more
jaundiced, blinkered, selective reading of the Old Testament and the
doctrine of God that emerges from it (if you've really read 'Genesis to
Malachi' at all).  I'm not at all trying to assault or insult you, Lee -
I'm just getting straight to the point.  Terms of 'mercy' and the like are
used to describe God hundreds of times in the OT and 'wrath' and so on are
still in the NT.  That's just for starters.  I really can't get into
demonstrating how utterly erroneous your theology is here.

But to me, the Outsider is too dark, too pagan, too directly involved in
human
affairs to be the Christian, NT God.

Again, what the heck are you talkin' about, my friend?  It is PRECISELY
God's involvement that marks him as gracious, compassionate, and salvific
in both Old and New Testaments (think Prophecy, Incarnation, Cross,
Resurrection).

I'm pretty DANG sure that's the God Wolfe believes in and evinces in his
works.  Let's argue about more pertitent things.
-DOJP