(urth) The Wizard

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 06:25:25 PST 2012

>Daniel Petersen: I completely do not follow your theology there, Lee.  The
>Outsider is *totally* like the 'God of the Bible' (OT and NT)

I think this may be the very crux of our disagreement, and perhaps applies to
Dan'l and Jerry as well. I know it is canonical in modern Judeo-Christianity
that the God of the Jews, Christians and Muslims is the same God. But there is
a school of thought which holds that the God of the Old Testament (and Koran) is
different than the God of the New Testament. I have no personal belief but my
reading of the Bible (and what I know of the Koran) supports this view and,
given his fascination with the reality of pagan/gnostic gods I suspect Gene Wolfe
subscribes to this school of thought.

In the Old Testament, God is a self-proclaimed angry God. A jealous God who
acknowledges the existence of real, rival gods. An unforgiving God who viciouly
slaughters those who disobey him. A malicious God who repeatedly hardens Pharaoh's
heart when the guy is trying to let the Hebrews go free; eventually sentencing
thousands of innocent Egyptian children to death and drowning an entire army
because of the heart-hardening. This is a God of war, conquest and genocide.

As I read it, there is a huge contrast between that God and the God of the New
Testament who is, as described by the Christians here, good and loving.  A God
of peace and forgiveness, if not exactly "nice". The OT God is right there in
earthly mix, messing directly with human affairs, appearing in guises and sending
food, water, plagues, death etc. as He sees fit. The NT God seems more distant and
far above humanity and human emotions like anger and jealousy. No more floods,
burning bushes, wars nor genocides are sanctioned by Him.

The inconsistency is so profound I find it almost imperative to consider the NT God
as either a different or a *transformed* God from the OT God. The OT God may have
been a step up from other pagan gods but He was still pretty damn pagan, when
compared to the NT God. Jealous of Baal, commanding sacrifices, etc. Still some
Zeus-like trappings there (and the Jove-Jehovah name similarity is not coincidental)

I'm hoping that clarifies my view a bit. In BotNS, the Increate does resemble the NT
God. But to me, the Outsider is too dark, too pagan, too directly involved in human
affairs to be the Christian, NT God. If the argument is that The Outsider is or is an
analog to the OT God I am basically in agreement. Which brings up the interesting
question: Did The Outsider (like the OT God) cause the Urth Flood? (or Floods, if you
count Blue)