(urth) The Wizard

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 06:07:42 PST 2012

>> My view is that with Urth, Wolfe created a world where Christ never
>> appeared, where all the ancient gods and horrors remained in control.

>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: An interesting idea, and I like it. It has great
>explanatory power.

For me also. If there is agreement on this concept I think any other
disagreements are fairly inconsequential.

>I realize that there is no way to convince you that the Outsider is
>the Christian God, but I believe that the Increate is at work
>throughout the Solar cycle, that, as the Bible says, He wills that all
>be saved and that He would not abandon an entire Creation to perdition

Agreed! I've always maintained that Urth is not a hopeless world.
Severian lives in a time period chronologically advanced from our own but
more spiritually retarded. They have only made it to the Flood which we
achieved 8000 years ago.  They will receive their Christ when they are
ready, as we did. But at the end of BotNS they are not yet ready. They are
still pagan. And Long/Short Sun takes place before Urth's Flood (though
Blue seems to have had its own).