(urth) The Wizard

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 08:51:06 PST 2012

*if we didn't already know going in that Wolfe was a Catholic, we wouldn't
be making these conclusion.  It is only because we know he is a devout
Catholic that we put more emphasis on the Christian allusions than the
pagan ones. *

Naw, I *definitely* would've seen it in spades before I knew his personal
beliefs.

*Could Severian and New Sun be an "atheistic" work which shows a world that
Wolfe sees as a dystopia in relation to his own belief? Sure. *

Yes, but that would still not be an 'atheistic' work in the final sense -
it would be intending to mitigate against atheism, to slyly subvert it - in
which case it would be decidedly theistic work.  This is in fact a lot of
what Wolfe does, I think.  'Imagine a world with no God, no Christ:  not so
nice.'  But he doesn't seem able to leave it at this.  Into that same world
he also says:  'Ok, enough of that, now imagine God and Christ
theo-comedically showing up anyway, deviously agitating for redemption in
the midst of this dystopia or diaspora.'

I couldn't agree more about Wolfe being a fiction writer, not a polemicist.
 But, as you note, there are better, worse, and 'epic fail'
interpretations.  And that the (essentially) orthodox Christ is meant to
'triumph' (even if, paradoxically, only by his absence at times) is clear
to me FROM THE TEXTS, not from our knowledge that Wolfe is a Catholic (that
to me, is simply what clinches the view, pushes it over the finish line).

That's what I mean by saying 'come on, guys' you're not really, genuinely
in doubt as to the texts' own 'allusive hierarchy' in terms of what's
'primary' and 'secondary' to *carrying forward the artistic telos* of the
works.

-DOJP