(urth) The Wizard

Fred Kiesche godelescherbach at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:59:57 PST 2012

"New Sun is not an allegory of French wine tasting championships."

I think we have the Post of the Day!

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Antonin Scriabin
<kierkegaurdian at gmail.com>wrote:

> "New Sun is not an allegory of French wine tasting championships."
>
> I wish this were true!
>

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Craig Brewer <cnbrewer at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>  I always tell my students that there is no one interpretation that
>> trumps all others because you can always say even more about a good work of
>> fiction. But there are certainly wrong answers (New Sun is not an allegory
>> of French wine tasting championships). And there are definitely better and
>> worse ways of reading a text, even though we may argue about the criteria
>> for better and worse.
>>
>> It's important to remember that interpreting isn't a zero sum game,
>> though. There are certain facts about Wolfe's bio that should be taken into
>> the context. His Catholicism is necessary. It's not necessaily a master key
>> (as if a work of fiction is a mere puzzle), but once you know that fact,
>> it's inescapable. But...that doesn't mean that the best readings will
>> always conform to Catholic orthodoxy. (Besides, what does Wolfe take
>> "orthodoxy" to mean...he's sometimes vague and playful about just that in
>> interviews.)
>>
>> But it does mean that you have to take that into consideration when
>> reading. Could his works be imaginative criticisms of his faith? Sure.
>> Could they be ultimately just fanciful allegories of his beliefs? Sure.
>> Could Severian and New Sun be an "atheistic" work which shows a world that
>> Wolfe sees as a dystopia in relation to his own belief? Sure. In other
>> words, there's a lot of wiggle room in interpretations that take his
>> Catholicism at full face value without simply seeing the works as a
>> transparent reflection of that.
>>
>> After all, if he was just a polemicist, he'd write essays. And he
>> wouldn't need the doubly filtered "lies" of speculative fiction as a way to
>> just out what he believes. I'm certain he does that...but he also does
>> more.
>>

>> On Mar 6, 2012, at 8:46 AM, Antonin Scriabin <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>   "But it's not all subjective, right?"
>>
>> A case can be made that it *is* all subjective, because we can never
>> know the author's motives, but that seems like a petty objection (that, of
>> course, leads to more petty objections for which we can thank
>> postmodernism). <349.gif>  I just think talking about "primary" vs. "other"
>> and "lesser"  allusions is just an odd way to think about a work of
>> fiction; especially when people use phrases like "an allusion to" as code
>> for "this part of the text *means*".  It is one thing to trace
>> allusions, and another to draw grandiose conclusions about Christ having
>> been in one universe or another, etc.  I think it reads a bit too much into
>> the books, and that if we didn't already know going in that Wolfe was a
>> Catholic, we wouldn't be making these conclusion.  It is only because we
>> know he *is* a devout Catholic that we put more emphasis on the
> [...]

F.P. Kiesche III  "Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always,
scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being
presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.)
Blogging at The Lensman's Children (
http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/).