(urth) mysteries of the long sun?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 10:49:13 PDT 2011

On 10/28/2011 12:43 PM, larry miller wrote:
> yeah I was wondering about the woman too.  Surely most of the visions
> presented to Silk have connections with events in the book (Silk
> seeing lights beneath his feet is him seeing the stars out the window
> of the Whorl for example) so just who was the woman?  Any thoughts?
> Also the patch of skin found on the roof, any thoughts on this?

IIRC, It was a rabbit killed by the gyrevulture. When Silk picked it up,
he was attacked. Musk what coursing his hawk with rabbits earlier or
maybe later in the story. Now, you'll ask, why did Wolfe put a
gyrevulture at the top of Blood's roof? What narrative value did it
offer? It breaks up the narrative and provides some action. Also, I
think it had a role in a thematic reference that Wolfe was weaving into
the story.

J.