(urth) Horn's ability

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Oct 27 09:52:25 PDT 2011

On 10/27/2011 12:27 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
>> Astras seem to be angels with legalistic powers limited to the earthly sphere and linked
>> >with stars.
>
> Heh. We are talking about Hethor. But sounds like Father Inire to me.

In some ways. If we are to think of Inire as chained to Urth, yes. But
he has no formal or judging powers whatsoever---unlike the Autarch.

Hethor is fallen from the stars in a more literal way but has no
authority either, except over the creatures he brought with him.

>> >Naming Hethor for an Astra seated during Jesus's life does make him sort of a Herod/Pilate
>> >figure. Hethor would certainly have enjoyed the crucifixion!
> Wow. That rings SO true for me in regard to the story. I can imagine such a being in adoration
> of his Master but also able to fully enjoy any pain and suffering that immortal Master might
> have to endure (like avern wounds and salamander burns and lucivee cuts, etc.)

Yes, the whole sadomasochistic dark side of adoration of the
crucifix(ion). I think Hethor's character is an essential part of
Severian's relation as torturer to the Christ. Too much (of something
that is) good is evil.