(urth) Horn's ability

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:01:45 PDT 2011

>David Stockhoff: In some ways. If we are to think of Inire as chained to Urth, yes. But
>he has no formal or judging powers whatsoever---unlike the Autarch.

I am going to distort the meaning of your post and agree with you. Any executive power the
Autarch seems to have is purely a formality. There is the evidence of Cyriaca and some other
quotes which suggest nobody really knows who the true power ruling the Commonwealth is, The
Autarch or the cacogens (Inire and...?)

There is of course the oft-repeated trope in myth, literature and history of the manipulative
vizier who is the true power behind the throne which Wolfe may be invoking here.

But for me the clincher is Father Inire's letter. I would paraphrase it as saying: "Welcome to
the Autarchy, new super-duper, most radically awesome guy! Now, I've made this major decision
which I'm SURE you'll approve of. And I've taken this radical action which you naturally support.
Etc. etc. But, let's never forget, I am "your humble servant", Inire.

(FWIW, it has never escaped me that Severian and others call him "Father" but he doesn't call
himself that.)

Hm. we have recently discussed whether Severian is clueless as to Inire's many appearances in
his story or is deliberately hiding his recognition. There is a bit of evidence, perhaps a slip,
that suggests during his later writing Severian knows full well when Father Inire has appeared
in disguise in his story.

Rudesind mentions that his master (Father Inire) "went away north", but is hesitant to dwell on the
point.  In Severian's reply, he says, "We even know that your master was with us in the jungles of
the north, where he tried until it was too late to rescue my predecessor".  Inire's letter itself
alludes to recent events with Agia and Vodalus that imply that he was nearby.

So, Severian knows the Jungle Guide was Inire. But all we get is this little hint to know that he
knows it.