(urth) Horns abilities

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:45:50 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Daniel Petersen
<danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect with Catholic supernatural realists like Wolfe, R. A. Lafferty,
> and Tim Powers, you have to be careful not to limit super-temporal or
> super-physical phenomena to the text only.  I bet they think 'real'
> (extralinguistic) life is at least as weird as the weirdest text ever
> written and probably more so.  You never know when a theological theme may
> be lurking near (among other sorts).  As Tolkien famously remarked:  'It
> does not do to leave a live [theological] dragon out of your calculations,
> if you live near him.'

Well, a fair point here. But in a story that is so much about the
telling of stories, something of the nature of storytelling seems to
be part of the story.

I agree with what you think Wolfe etc. think -- that is, I think that
reality is not only queerer than we think, it's queerer than we are
capable of thinking (or writing) about. But I _also_ think that there
are some things that are artifacts of writing and are possible only in
texts (though I mean much more by "write" and "text" than you probably
think: as Frere Derrida says, we are never outside of the text).

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes