(urth) Horns abilities

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:56:57 PDT 2011

*On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>wrote:

...something of the nature of storytelling seems to
be part of the story*

Oh yes, definitely.  The supernatural realism and concern with stories and
storytelling are not at all mutually exclusive - in fact, they're pretty
much guaranteed to be inextricably bound together for Wolfe.

*...reality is not only queerer than we think, it's queerer than we are
capable of thinking (or writing) about. But I _also_ think that there
are some things that are artifacts of writing and are possible only in
texts (though I mean much more by "write" and "text" than you probably
think: as Frere Derrida says, we are never outside of the text).*

I won't pretend to completely understand the metaphysical view you're
alluding to without a lengthy discussion over some pints, but I think I'm
sympathetic to one degree or another.  The Catholic writers (and other
non-reductionist writers) aren't committed to a view of reality that knows
no difference between text and world.  It's just that we are best to bet
there's usually an open door of possibility for even the wildest phenomena
of the text to be extra-textual phenomena too.

-DOJP