(urth) Jordan Interview

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Oct 22 18:54:46 PDT 2011

On 10/22/2011 9:34 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> --- On Sat, 10/22/11, David Stockhoff<dstockhoff at verizon.net>  wrote:
>
>> If I understand you correctly, you're saying that no author
>> can critique (not "criticize") his religion.
>>
>> Note also that by "religion" I do not refer to anything
>> other than that part of religion (all of it, I'd say, but I don't want to
>> create a distraction here) which is entirely created by humans.
> No, you misunderstand me. Of course he can critique his religion.  I'm just not sure that's what he's doing.  I think he is showing how when Typhon rips it off and tries to take Gods place, it still leads to the Outsider.
> And if he believes in papal authority, it ISN'T created entirely by humans, when Jesus gave certain powers to his representative on earth, Peter.

I think he can do both, and does. One simply can't depict a colorful,
spectacular, empty religion without fingering any number of religions at
their worst moments. Every religion has those worst moments. At least
let's agree the Byzantine church is a suspect!

I hear you on the papal authority thing. It seems very odd for Wolfe to
believe in it, since he attaches so much importance and authority to
people's trying to come to grips with divinity without knowing "the
truth." But there it is.