(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 22 09:37:56 PDT 2011

>Jeff Wilson: Talos' cosmic knowledge could easily have come from FB&O's
>wisdom-spreading audiences with Baldanders. His society knowledge can as
>easily have come from his association with the upper classes as a popular
>traveling entertainer, and perhaps as a keen eavesdropper endowed with
>foxlike senses.

Great post Jeff. Yes, it could have.

Here's the thing for me- We have the mystery of Dr. Talos' knowledge. It is

a mystery because it is not explained and I think we are supposed to figure

it out. We have competing theories: 1. he is a keen eavesdropper and 2. He

is really a version of the mysterious Father Inire.

If this was the real world, I think #1 is the better explanation. It is plain

and simple and thus better via Occam's principle. But this is a work of fantastical

fiction and for me, the fantastical #2 solution to a mystery is simply more fun.

WOlfe gives us the mystery of a flying cathedral and later gives us the pedestrian

answer that it is simply a big tent flying like a hot air balloon. So there are

pedestrian answers to some mysteries. It's just that he provides the answer to

that one. The mysteries we are supposed to figure out for ourselves ought to

have cool, interesting solutions, I think. If we are willing to put the thought

into solving his mysteries wouldn't he want to reward us rather than provide a yawn?