(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Oct 22 13:56:34 PDT 2011

On 10/22/2011 12:37 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> Here's the thing for me- We have the mystery of Dr. Talos' knowledge. It is
>
> a mystery because it is not explained and I think we are supposed to figure
>
> it out. We have competing theories: 1. he is a keen eavesdropper and 2. He
>
> is really a version of the mysterious Father Inire.
>

> If this was the real world, I think #1 is the better explanation. It is plain
>
> and simple and thus better via Occam's principle. But this is a work of fantastical
>
> fiction and for me, the fantastical #2 solution to a mystery is simply more fun.

Here's a theory that is neither pedestrian nor fantastical, but based on
the story and what we know of its characters. Talos has the task of
scraping up cash for Baldanders. He writes and directs plays and is
therefore incredibly literate. He probably reads extremely fast, being
unnatural and unusually intelligent. He knows his audience. He travels
and listens.

What sort of information does this leave out? Perhaps some military-type
information, certain arcane technologies, battle tactics. But certainly
all religion, philosophy, history, etc.

To me, the bigger key is the Book itself. The bit about Carina does seem
circular in origin, since there doesn't seem to be any reason for anyone
outside the story to know Catherine without knowing Severian is her son.
Why would anyone know that?

Well, certain people know---certain people at the House Absolute. And
these people deal in rare books.

Does anyone think it unlikely that Ultan lends Talos books by the hundreds?