(urth) Urth-Earth links

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:41:17 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Gerry, I think you were implying that Jesus Christ did not save humanity
> because we still have
> pagan gods and monsters and demonic possession and evil on earth. I am not
> religious but if I
> understand correctly, what Jesus Christ brought to our table and which
> provides for our salvation
> is choice. If we choose to believe in Jesus and accept him as our saviour,
> none of those evil
> things can harm our soul.

I would say that "salvation," in Christianity, relates to the complete
forgiveness of sins.  Because of our sinfulness, we are condemned and Hell
is our portion after death.  The sacrifice of an infinitely good being upon
the cross suffices to forgive all sins, just as the sacrifices of animals in
the Temple sufficed to forgive some sins under the Law.  The salvation
effected by the sacrifice of Christ does not exempt us from suffering in our
earthly lives, and was never supposed to.

The above is, of course, a very Augustinian view of the way salvation works
in the Christian faith, and people from Christian traditions in which St
Augustine is less important might find a number of points of disagreement.
:)

--
Matt +

All things are the same--familiar in enterprise, momentary in endurance,
coarse in substance.  All things now are as they were in the day of those
whom we have buried.
    Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (121-180), Meditations, IX, 14