(urth) Urth-Earth links

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 17 04:20:35 PDT 2011

>Gerry QUinn: Also, Baldanders needed no mermaid’s kiss.  When Severian

>shares a room with him, he notices the strange scars on his neck.  Baldanders

>knows he will have to move to the water at some point in the near future (even

>now he can only get about on land with the aid of an antigravity belt), and has

>already equipped himself with gills.

What dreams does sleeping next to Baldanders inspire in Severian? What is the

name of the lake Baldanders lives next to? WHat is the name of the town of the

lakemen who are subservient to Baldanders?

I think the text gives us plenty of hints that Baldanders' association with undines

(and Abaia) starts before the time we and Severian meet him. Moreover his dependence

on B, F and O for technology should make us question how capable he is of equipping

himself with gills. (the "kelpie" watery origin of B and F should also give us pause

for thought)