(urth) Typhon's nature

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 22:25:22 PDT 2011

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>

>Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 11:59 AM
>Subject: Re: (urth) Typhon's nature
>
>On 10/10/2011 1:29 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

No matter how or whether Typhon sent his thoughts to far places, we know he's telepathic.  He makes Severian
see through his eyes, and he casts a spell to try to get Severian to swear loyalty to him.  Severian compares
this spell to Decuman's, greatly in Typhon's favor.

>> I don;t know about require; sensors can have ranges and their data may be used to infer details beyond those.
>> An ancient but still functional satllite in orbit above the south pole and the sea could be accessible to Typhon
>> "Hmm, weather patterns continue to deteriorate... Great Me, what is that THING on the infrared?"

:-)

With no evidence, I imagine the sea monsters cold-blooded, so they wouldn't show up on the IR.

>> The talking machines could intercept intelligence from the Asciians' transmissions and preserve it for their
>> master's review. Jonas, for example, is a machine that knows about the great beasts without being currently at
>> the south pole or under the sea. He probably lost his antennas for far communication, though.
>It's possible. It's just a lot to expect the reader to guess. And Typhon, by his own account, is not one to speak
> indirectly. For myself, I tend to want to interpret him as neither god nor demigod but as an example of pure hubris.

I'm inclined to agree.

> He's like a tower built to reach Heaven. That requires him to have been constructed by humans. Genetics
> (assuming we allow a gene for telepathy, as we must if we allow telepathy, which we must because Mucor
> exists) explains Silk, Mucor, and Typhon.

Do we know Mucor's talent is genetic?  Maybe it's the result of an implant or  brain surgery or magic performed
on her embryo.  Or are you using "genetic" as a shorthand for some broader idea?

It seems to me Typhon's psionic talents are quite possible for humans in Briah, considering Mucor and
Decuman.  We have no idea what enhancement and special training Typhon might have.

Jerry Friedman