(urth) Typhon's nature

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Tue Oct 11 00:30:01 PDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 12:25 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> No matter how or whether Typhon sent his thoughts to far places, we know he's telepathic.  He makes Severian
> see through his eyes, and he casts a spell to try to get Severian to swear loyalty to him.  Severian compares
> this spell to Decuman's, greatly in Typhon's favor.

Typhon has some mental and some technological effects going in that
scene, it's debateable which particular element arises from which
origin. However, the seeing through his eyes part is overtly a figure of
speech, because they are looking out through the pupils sculpted into
Typhon's mountainous likeness. It *might* be a double-meaning, but
Typhon's facial eyes can't see over the curvature of the Urth any more
than Sev's can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoshihirata/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071015215148.htm

>>> The talking machines could intercept intelligence from the Asciians' transmissions and preserve it for their
>>> master's review. Jonas, for example, is a machine that knows about the great beasts without being currently at
>>> the south pole or under the sea. He probably lost his antennas for far communication, though.
>> It's possible. It's just a lot to expect the reader to guess. And Typhon, by his own account, is not one to speak
>> indirectly. For myself, I tend to want to interpret him as neither god nor demigod but as an example of pure hubris.
>

> I'm inclined to agree.

Typhon's got loads of hubris, but he's not all false pride; like
Alexander, he did accomplish things no other man approached.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >