(urth) Like a good neighbor

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 05:49:18 PST 2011

>Jerry Friedman: I'd say there's a vital connection between Severian and Jesus.
>I'm glad people don't shorthand "Severian echoes Jesus in some ways" to "Severian
>is Jesus"...The solution might be to avoid unusual senses of "is".

Well, it is a point worth mentioning, Jerry. But as you note, I would not be tempted
to say "Severian is Jesus" (nor would anyone else here, I think).

The problem crops up in trying to describe beings who are plural identities in the
story. We have the easiest time of it with Tzadkiel, because we are shown so much of
him/her. Still, we are forced to resort to such slashed gender pronouns and descriptors
such as "mirror book Tzadkiel", "fairy Tzadkiel" and "hairy blob Zak", "caveman Zak", etc.
All the same being yet all significantly different in size, appearance and function.

It becomes much more difficult to describe other plural beings who are not depicted as
clearly such as Scylla/Cilinia, Echidna/The Mother, Abaia/undines, Neighbors and Father
Inire (I think).

It gets even worse when the identity cards get shuffled and redealt as for Typhon/Pas,
Silk, Horn, and Pig/Babbie.

>Sergei Soloviev: My feeling is that while in Severian Wolfe investigates a personalty
>that in some ways echoes Jesus, in the story of Horn and Silk he explores a "growth"
>of a saint

I agree Sergei, except on one point.  All saints are dead. Severian shows no signs of
being able to die. I suspect he never will. He will merely fade away into legend as
all the other mythological immortals have done.