(urth) Pike/Oreb

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 13:28:20 PDT 2011

--- On Tue, 11/1/11, António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: (urth) Pike/Oreb
> Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2011, 1:00 PM
> larry miller wrote (01-11-2011
> 17:29):
> > Started reading Lake of Long Sun last night and Im
> totally confused
> > about the appearance of Patera Pike and Oreb in Silks
> room.  I know
> > there was some mention of this last week in a few
> posts but I didnt
> > want to chime in until I read it.  Thing is I
> still have no clue as to
> > what to make of it.  Anyone out there have any
> idea what to make of
> > that sequence?
>
> Well, I don't think they did well to answer you, because
> their answer, regardless of being correct or not (and they
> have by no means convinced everyone, though they have their
> arguments), betrays/requires/gives away plot elements from
> the Book of the Short Sun which you shouldn't really be
> aware of while reading the Book of the Long Sun (unless
> you'd read them yourself, of course).
>
> In short, no one has any idea what to make of that sequence
> [using only the material that precedes it]. So don't worry.

Yes, there are really only three possibilities, and none of them could be guessed at that point.  The properties of mainframe and the appearance of those who are gone, time travel, or mistaken identity/visions/shape changing.  Oreb flying around when his wing is broken is strange.

No conclusion is proferred concretely.