(urth) vanished people=Hieros

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 03:15:06 PST 2011

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote (09-11-2011 19:42):
> Marc Aramini wrote:
>> Sure, resonance, but to me, a personal friend of Wolfe, for Green not
>> to really be Urth, Gene had to be making a terrible joke on Christmas
>> to a fan who pretty much worships him.
>
> I have no problem with this. The only question it leaves open, which
> Wolfe's note doesn't help with, is in what _sense_ "Green is Urth." I
> suppose the electrical joke is possible, but I would set it aside as a
> bonus; he clearly means something about the text.

I think that the electrical joke actually strenghtens the identification, in
a Roger Rabbit way (is there any mention anywhere to Rigoglio having long
ears or wearing a bow tie?).

> One possibility: "Green is what Urth will become if..."

No, I don't like that kind of thing, and I don't think GW likes either.

Again, 'Green is Urth' intsa 'The CotI is Nessus'.

Btw, why is it that I keep imagining Blue with lots of ocean and Green with
very little? It's quite doubtful Green's jungles could be there without
oceans around.