(urth) some mysterious stuff in Long Sun

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:19:46 PST 2011

>> Marc Aramini-
>> Lemur here knows the motivations of the monarch, has this superpowerful body but is actually a moribund, possibly dead corpse, echoing the state of Pas, a god in the whorl but a memory without.
> Andrew Mason-
> Does he know the motivations of the monarch? Could people easily be
> made to forget their personal lives, but not the monarch and his
> family? I would think that Typhon wanted to be a God, on the one hand
> just to aggrandise himself, on the other to satsify people's religious
> instincts - which would otherwise be directed towards the Outsider. I
> see Lemur as missing the point.

Once again, I think this ascribes to Vanity was is overtly described as
a practical decision.
Typhon would have preferred to have the colonists forget everything
about their history. The incorporation of the Typhons and their court as
gods was done because: Since the Cargo would not completely forget them,
their memories would be diverted along another path. And Typhon's young
daughter got to describe what that path would be for Viron. Someone
else, I presume, worked out the religion of the Trivigaunte.

Look, at the beginning of  'An Evil Guest' we are told that Bill Ries is
the most evil man alive. Gideon Chase argues that the President only
says that because Ries' plans and motivations contradict his own. Then
we meet Ries. Did he seem especially evil to you? It's just like that
with Typhon.

u+16b9