(urth) some mysterious stuff in Long Sun

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:20:24 PST 2011

James Wynn wrote: > I don't consider it clear at all that it is Tussah
speaking. In fact, I
> don't think there is _any_ definitive reason to assume "You must, my
> lad." and "We're your parents." to be spoken by different people. Quite
> the opposite. "He" is a pronoun that would assume the person had already
> been referred to. The man with the wit the carved brown face from his
> mother's closet is the man with the blue eyes (and the only reason the
> face was brown was that it was carved--it says nothing about the face
> Silk was looking at.)

One reason for thinking that the lines are spoken by different people
is that the silence of the second woman is specifically mentioned,
which suggests that the other three have spoken. Given the rather
dreamlike quality of the whole scene, I don't find the 'he' very
puzzling - the person has implicitly been referred to, as the speaker
of the line 'We're your parents'.

> For the record, I am becoming increasingly convinced that Silk is not
> the only reprentative of Typhon in this story:
>
> Silk, Tussah, Lemur, Pike (because Silk mistakes the Rajan for Pike's
> ghost),
> and Quetzal (whose mother would have fed on Tussah).

Do the dates work for this? I would have thought Quetzal's mother fed
on PIke - with whom Silk confuses him at one point.

> That's a very good question. This near death experience is odd. If they
> are in Mainframe, this isn't an Outsider event. This is a meeting staged
> by Pas and Typhon to further the Plan of Pas (which we are told in RTTW
> is not necessarily contrary to the Will of the Outsider). If this is the
> case, then Quetzal is probably in on it too, since he is standing over
> Silk when he revives.

Well, there's something odd going on with Quetzal here, certainly. But
isn't Pas dead at this point? And I don't see any particular reason to
think they are in Mainframe - Silk thinks of it that way because
that's the conception of the afterlife he's used to. (He's puzzled by
the absence of lowing beasts.)