(urth) lameness

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 14:14:45 PST 2011

>> Lee Berman-
>> James Wynn is a devout Graves fan when it comes to interpreting Wolfe.
>
> [snip] That said, I am quite certain that Wolfe has relied heavily on
> Graves' [snip] It is that book he used as a source when retelling the
> story of The Binding of Zeus in "The Book of the Long Sun". And of
> course, I was pleased and surprised to have (almost by coincidence)
> discovered that he was tracking "The Book of the Long Sun" over
> Graves' telling of the life of Aristaeus. It was because I read Long
> Sun that I discovered that Aristaeus was anything but a minor story
> Herodotus' "History (of the Persian Wars)".

You might be interested in this, Lee.
While browsing a used bookstore yesterday, I happened upon "New Larousse
Encyclopedia of Mythology" for which Graves wrote introduction.  There
was an interesting article entitled "Pan, Aristaeus, Priapus" which for
me confirms that Silk a clone of Typhon and that Tussah was also a clone
of Typhon. But I still say that Silk was also the born of Kypris/Bird of
the Woods, as impossible as that seems. But check out the bit about Max
Muller:

    "Another divinity later incorporated in the retinue of Dionysus, and
    often confused with the Satyrs because of his physical resemblance
    to them, was the god Pan, whose cult was for long localized in
    Arcadia. Hence, he was made the son of Hermes, the great Arcadian
    god. His mother was either the daughter of King Dryops, whose flocks
    Hermes had  tended, or Penelope, whom he had approached in the form
    of a he-goat. [...] The Homeric hymn connects [Pan's name] with the
    adjective 'all' under the pretext that the sight of Pan on Olympus
    amused all the Immortals. The same etymology was invoked [...] who
    considered Pan to be the symbol of the Universe.

    *Max Muller found a connection between Pan and the Sanskrit pavana,
    the wind, and believed that Pan was the personification of the light
    breeze.*

    In our opinion, however, it seems more likely that the name comes
    from the root which means 'to eat' which gave the Latins the verb
    'pascere',  'to graze or pasture'. Pan, indeed, was above all a
    shepherd god [...]

    "*Every region of Greece had its own Pan. That of Thessaly was
    called Aristaeus.* Without doubt this Aristaeus was a great
    primitive deity of this land, for his name means 'the very good',
    which was also the epithet of Zeus in Arcadia. Moreover Pindar says
    that 'Aristaeus was carried after his birth by Hermes to Gaea and
    the Horae who fed him on nectar and transformed him into Zeus, the
    immortal god, and into Apollo, the pure, the guardian of flocks and
    the chase and pasturage.' According legend, Aristaeus was the son of
    Uranus and Gaea or of Apollo and Cyrene.[...]

    "Pan of Mysia, in Asia Minor, was Priapus. He was particularly
    venerated at Lampsacus. His origin is rather vague. his mother was
    said to be Aphrodite or Chione and his father Dionysus, Adonis,
    Hermes, or Pan."

u+16b9