(urth) Introduction and Breath

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Apr 17 15:31:49 PDT 2011

From: "David Stockhoff" <dstockhoff at verizon.net>

> I think the test here is "more unreliable than is usual in science
> fiction." It's a pretty low bar Severian clears with ease, just by his
> lies of omission.
>
> Gerry's comment that, to Severian, "just a moment ago" is long enough to
> compose ~50 written pages by hand is another example, however limited in
> effect.

I think the main meaning of this episode is the slightly cruel joke about
Nicarete being left to wait on the Autarch's whim once again, after spending
her life waiting in the antechamber of previous Autarchs. Severian's
absorption in his writing just sets it up.  I wouldn't call it an example of
an unreliable narrator, really.  He didn't notice the time passing.  It's
not an unnatural thing not to notice; anybody might be unreliable in the
same fashion.

For me, the term 'unreliable narator' implies that the author is telling us
another, different story disguised behind the overt story the narrator is
telling is; either the narrator is lying or he doesn't understand what's
going on.  I really don't think that either is the case with Severian.

A narrator who simply makes mistakes or who doesn't know everything isn't
unreliable in this strong sense.  Maybe we could define 'weakly unreliable'
and 'strongly unreliable' - but I personally feel that the expression
'unreliable narrator' should be reserved for the strong sense.  Probably all
Wolfe's characters are unreliable in the weak sense - consider the Nebraskan
in 'The Nebraskan and the Nereid' discussed earlier, for example.  We are
told what he sees, but he does not realise that he is meeting the same girl
in the inn and the sea-cave, so we are not told.  But does that make him
unreliable?  It certainly does not make him a liar, anyway.

- Gerry Quinn