(urth) Introduction and Breath

António Marques entonio at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 16:09:33 PDT 2011

Gerry Quinn wrote:
> For me, the term 'unreliable narator' implies that the author is telling
> us another, different story disguised behind the overt story the
> narrator is telling is; either the narrator is lying or he doesn't
> understand what's going on.

I think you're doing overanalysis. 'Unreliable narrator' simply means
that the narrative isn't the absolute complete truth of what happened.
Which, actually, applies to any narrative. What Gene Wolfe does - as
other did and do - is to craft that part of his work, instead of leaving
it to be a subproduct.