(urth) The face of Pas

Tim O'Donnell timodonn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 10:03:50 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote
>> But the idea that Typhon was egotistically--let alone
>> "manically"--obsessed with his face is simply not true based on his
>> discussion with Severian in Sword of the Lictor. Keeping his original
>> head, in the original case,  was a practical issue:

I have long suspected (with little evidence to be fair) that Typhon needed
to keep his head/face/brain in order to be able to exercise his magic
powers.  These powers might survive cloning but perhaps his powers would not
survive uploading into a chem or into mainframe.  This would be a pretty
practical reason to keep his head with the story of his face a cover so as
not to hint at the real source of his power.