(urth) The face of Pas

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 06:42:45 PDT 2010

>Lemur: "The monarch had wanted a son to succeed him. Scylla was as strong-willed as the
>monarch himself, but female. It is a law of nature, as concerns our race, that females are
>subject to males. Her father allowed her to found our city, however, and many others. She
>founded your Chapter as well, a parody of *the state religion of her own whorl*. She was hardly
>more than a child, you understand, and the rest younger even than she."

>Roy C. Lackey: For the religion of Viron to be a parody of the state religion on Urth, the state
>religion on Urth must have been polytheistic.

Typhon ruled a multi-planet empire. To me the above passage suggests that Typhon installed Scylla
as the ruler of another planet and it is that place which has the polytheistic religion Viron's was
based upon. The Empire had much interstellar travel and trade so I don't see that everything on The
Whorl needed to come from Urth.

I have to wonder about Lemur's "law of nature, as concerns our race". He is more than slightly aware
of Trivigaunte. Does he consider Trivigaunte a violation of the laws of nature? Or is there perhaps
some question about which race of beings he is talking about?