(urth) The face of Pas

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 12:31:08 PDT 2010

>Tim O'Donnell: I have long suspected (with little evidence to be fair) that Typhon needed
>to keep his head/face/brain in order to be able to exercise his magic powers.  These powers
>might survive cloning but perhaps his powers would not survive uploading into a chem or into
>mainframe.  This would be a pretty practical reason to keep his head with the story of his
>face a cover so as not to hint at the real source of his power.

I find Typhon's superhuman powers of telepathy and clairvoyance to be quite significant (though
most often glossed over in discussions of him). No other characters in BotNS that I can think of
have similar powers. Maybe Tzadkiel, who seem to speak to Severian during a dream.

I think the  Mandragora's similar powers support your suggestion that Typhon's powers can be
duplicated via cloning. (mythological Typhon being a man-dragon)