(urth) The Pelerine (COTA 8)

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 12 04:05:21 PDT 2010

>Jeff Wilson: Andrew: Please note that the "we" of this determination consists entirely
>of Lee and the mouse in their pocket. The majority view (of those
>expressing opinions) seems to be that the Hierogrammates and were the
>products of humans of a previous Big Bang/Big Crunch cycle.

Apologies. Didn't mean to speak for others. "mouse in their pocket"? I did mention humans
from other universe as part of the opinion of the majority but Jeff snipped it. Perhaps
neither Jeff nor I should speak of majorities without doing a poll.

In the discussion I was speaking of, four characters weigh in on the idea that it is the
humanity of Urth/Ushas that gives rise to Hieros. Malrubius doesn't know. Severian says
"perhaps". Apheta, at the end, says "I believe it to be so". Tzadkiel implies he was an
acolyte of a Conciliator/New Sun "in a creation now vanished" which could mean Briah or
could mean some other universe.

I think the question becomes- why did the Hierogrammates give Severian the power to change
Urth to Ushas?  Are they divine judges above the fray? Or are they taking a hand in their
own creation? I see evidence for both.