(urth) The Pelerine (COTA 8)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Sep 13 08:47:07 PDT 2010

On 9/12/2010 6:05 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

> In the discussion I was speaking of, four characters weigh in on the idea that it is the
> humanity of Urth/Ushas that gives rise to Hieros. Malrubius doesn't know. Severian says
> "perhaps". Apheta, at the end, says "I believe it to be so". Tzadkiel implies he was an
> acolyte of a Conciliator/New Sun "in a creation now vanished" which could mean Briah or
> could mean some other universe.

The constraint "in a creation now vanished" would limit it to some
by-gone, inaccessible existences.

The only real Issue I see is to what extent the human race of the
Briah, for the purposes of determining what kind of intervention they
need or deserve. It's the old "kill baby Hitler" question writ large: if
the Urthlings of Severian's time have the same numerical identity as the
Urthlings that cruelly wrought Tzadkiel's race, then severe intervention
in their course of history is easily justified. If they are not, then
they arguably deserve a chance to make their own mistakes.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >