(urth) Names on the Whorl

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Mon Sep 6 21:33:25 PDT 2010

David Stockhoff wrote:
>   I meant the family name would remain, but would be unspoken, not that
> the son's name would become the new family name. As I said, family =
> animals, children = parts. Or more like, patriarch = animal.

Not even that works. Horn's full-brothers were named Calf, Tallow and
Tongue; his full-sisters Cowslip and Oxlip. Horn's half-brothers (same
father) are Antler and Stag. Cricket was the name of Cowslip's son.

> Blood would be Blood (Pike), and his children Scale and Fin (Pike). It's
> a system that would only work if everyone honored it, obviously. But why
> else are some people animals and others animal parts? Why are strangers
> animals, but those characters whose families are intimately known always
> parts? Horn is presented as a child, not a man/patriarch. Do we know his
> father?

As I mentioned recently, Horn's father is Smoothbone. There is no real
pattern; Horn and Calf had the same parents.

-Roy