(urth) Names on the Whorl

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Sep 6 14:41:24 PDT 2010

  I meant the family name would remain, but would be unspoken, not that
the son's name would become the new family name. As I said, family =
animals, children = parts. Or more like, patriarch = animal.

Blood would be Blood (Pike), and his children Scale and Fin (Pike). It's
a system that would only work if everyone honored it, obviously. But why
else are some people animals and others animal parts? Why are strangers
animals, but those characters whose families are intimately known always
parts? Horn is presented as a child, not a man/patriarch. Do we know his
father?

You're right that Horn's animal "source" is never named. But that isn't
really a problem. Just another mystery.

Another problem is female names. But since male/female names are
parallel, they don't need to be related. Rosemary's daughters could be
Thyme and Sage, regardless of their father's identity. Icelanders do
something similar.

Obviously I have not gone through the books to check this against every
character.