(urth) Names on the Whorl

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Sep 7 05:48:46 PDT 2010

  Thanks for the names, Roy. However, they generally don't test the
hypothesis.

Let me restate my hypothesis so it can be tested: every (human)
character has two names; one name is (let's say) an in-group name and
the other a (parental) out-group name. But only one is ever presented,
because the narrator has a unique, potentially changeable relation to
the character.

Admittedly, this is hard to test. If every (human) character has two
names and only one is ever presented,  then what matters is not the
character's presented name but the character's relationship to the
narrator. The family is the basic in-group. If Horn says, "I once knew a
person named Swallowtail---" then all we know is that the person was
male and was not in his family. We knew that anyway.

This isn't to argue for the idea, simply to explain that presenting
lists of character names and the family relationship of characters to
one another does not test the idea. For example, to Horn, his father was
Smoothbone, but if he had held a public position he might have been
called (say) General Moose.

If Horn is estranged from Stag, that might work, although that gets
dodgy. The only real problem below is Cricket. Unless Cricket's
identification as Cowslip's son rather than his father's son changes
things, that doesn't work. Who was Cricket's father? Does his name give
away his identity?

I leave this to those of you who are more familiar with the Long Sun.