(urth) SINGLE Gene Wolfe literature universe?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon May 10 13:39:16 PDT 2010

> Urthers,
>
> Has anyone come up with/discussed the idea that most (if not ALL) Gene
> Wolfe's stories occur in same universe?  That all his
> stories/novels/novellas etc. are just points on the same timeline?  There
> are so many instances of coincidence and synchronicity, similar
> names, "guess appearances" and the like that that's my interpretation of
> how all these works interrelate(because they do.)

I like to think that GW is a bit more original than that. There are also
several multi-world structures in his existing works that seem
incompatible like the Yesod-Briah-Abbadon stack in BOTNS vs THE WIZARD
KNIGHT's seven-high pile vs the side-by-side arrangement of THERE ARE
DOORS. Then there are the obsoleted dystopian stories like "Paul's
Treehouse" and "How The Whip Came Back" - well, I suppose that "Whip"
could still happen.

Best,
Jeff