(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Jun 19 05:40:33 PDT 2010

Let me add a point or two to address Roy's observations.

(9) Agia is literally holy, in that she is a Heirodule, directly created
by the gods.

(10) As an assassin, she is the anti-Ossipago. If you gave Ossipago a
shove, I bet you'd hear the mason's hammer striking stone. There's no
reason to compare her to chems, creations of Typhon.

There bound to be some misses here, but this theory uses known
principles to predict what we know we don't know. It draws from
plentiful pulp and SF cliches, including some playful ones, and directly
relates to the gnostic themes of TBotNS. It uses the sacred incest
central to gnosticism/alchemy and explains why Agia and Agilus are
twins, and confirms the significance of Severian's incestuous
tendencies. It explains why Agia, obviously an extremely important
character, is so important. It even explains why she is an Asian hottie
ninja, a fact Lexicon Urthis overlooks. It identifies the doll in the
box and explains her purple eyes and Agia's brown ones. It relies
heavily on Wolfe's near-obsession with robots and half-humans, and ties
in with the theme of base matter trapped in a subcreation searching for
godhead and the next universe. It almost completely disregards
established differences between robots and humans, because what matters
in religion is the soul. It's a thoroughly Wolfean scheme.

Let me know if there's anything it doesn't explain.

Also, after looking back a bit, I think Agia was made primarily as an
assassin, not as a sex toy. Hethor made a toy of her, and she is capable
of sex because she is an assassin, not the reverse. If this and the
above are true, then there was probably never a chance of A&A being
Tested; that was just speculation anyway. It's difficult to see the
gods' motives in creating her and too easy to make wild guesses.

I wonder if it was Severian's own light that was the source of the
aureole around A&A.